FROM DISNEYLAND TO VC MANOR
Imagine gallivanting across Disneyland on a sunny March afternoon as the delightfully consuming scent of a fresh batch of popcorn kernels pop to perfection. The popcorn maker sits adjacent to the churros chariot that you’ve been evading all afternoon. Yet, this isn’t any ordinary trip to The Happiest Place on Earth. You’ve arrived early, the crowds are minimal and all the rides are operational. As you approach the renowned and recently renovated Indiana Jones ride, you are astonished to find a zero-minute wait and no line. Believe it or not, your timing was impeccable – Gather the troops, the 2 ½ minute Harrison Ford-themed adventure awaits.
HOW DOES THIS TRIP RESEMBLE THE CURRENT STATE OF THINGS FOR VCS?
Venture capital markets survived 2016 slumps, continuing on an onward and upward trajectory through 2017. The disruptors and catalysts with the emerging technologies come out on top. Although some disparity appears among volume and funds, the game play implications are massive. While a crowd-less Disneyland is unlikely, venture capital is thanks in large part to the current landscape.
As evident of Disney purchasing rival studio 20th Century Fox (the most significant cataclysm for the film industry in the 21st Century), VCs too aren’t short on cash. Lines are blurred and technology is changing the game for the industry – GET IT EARLY.
HOW CAN QUALIFIED COMPANIES GAIN A COMPETITIVE EDGE, AVOID DREADED WAIT TIMES AND TAKE A PIECE OF THE PIE? (theme park visit is optional)
Top 8 hand-picked Predictions for the Venture Capital Industry in the next decade:
- Technology/Big data/Automation etc. will continue driving M&A deals
- Full-stack professional services a trend evident by investor acclimate
- Venture funds will revive their passion for early-stage investments
- “Truly Great” companies will sidestep the venture funding circus altogether
- Investors receive larger stakes & are integral to the start-up team
- Increased liquidity, accountability and transparency is vital
- It’s a performance game folks. Personal + Professional Brand Synergy is instrumental
- Innovation, experimentation and crowdfunding lead to different types of VCs
For detailed predications and insights click here.
ON THE HORIZON
In the midst of the capital market’s landscape, regulatory overhauls, and record-breaking technology M&As with no sign of reprisal, 2020 will look very different than it does today.
Then, too, there is the surging stock market and, by extension, the rebound in technology IPOs. This has been fueled not only by a strengthening economy but by President-elect Donald Trump’s push to bolster the economy further by reducing taxes, streamlining regulations and sparking major infrastructure development.
Furthermore, the implications of evolving social organizations are worth noting. The New York based think-tank, Financial Policy Council (FPC) captures this trend in a June 2017 article titled, “Financial Power of Impact Investing.” It states:
“For many years the divide between instruments of philanthropy and investing has been clear cut. Investing strategies typically did not involve social organizations focused on non-governmental organization (NGO) concerns. However, the advent of millennial investing power, the rise of social enterprises, and the need for further asset diversification have blurred the line between both industries.”
Lastly, venture is still fairly segmented by geography. As localized hubs become more sophisticated and efficient, venture will truly be a global play.
What’s your power play?
CONNECT + CREATE:
Feature your brand and/or business:
- Submit your thought-provoking, insightful, and note-worthy content or insights to email@example.com or by simply including the hashtag – #VentureImpact in your comment below.
- Diverse viewpoints and co-publications welcome. No industry, individual or inspiration is off limits.
- Be featured in future publications.
Zana Nesheiwat is Founder of Brand ZA Inc., an integrated business solutions and impact-branding firm specializing in financial services, public policy, and technology. With global operations from Los Angeles to Dubai, the firm equips clients with intelligence and resources to effectively bridge business goals with turnkey brand strategy – driving growth across all touch points.
- BLACKHAWK PARTNERS: TRACK-RECORD OF CONTRIBUTING ACCURATE PREDICTIONS. REFERENCE: JUNE 2016 ARTICLE, “WHERE ARE THE BIG BUCKS TO BE MADE IN THE FUTURE? LOOK WHERE THE WORLD IS HEADED FIRST”
- FINANCIAL POLICY COUNCIL: THE LEADING FISCAL POLICY RESEARCH THINK-TANK EXCLUSIVELY FOCUSED ON ECONOMIC ISSUES ACROSS INDUSTRY IN THE US AND ABROAD. REFERENCE: FPC ABOUT US
- TECH CRUNCH: COLLECTION OF RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS. REFERENCE: CURRENT AND FUTURE VC LANDSCAPE ARTICLES 2017 FISCAL YEAR
- MCKINSEY & COMPANY: ACCLAIMED INVESTMENT RESEARCH AND ANALYSIS. REFERENCE: CAPITAL IQ; PITCHBOOK; MCKINSEY CENTER FOR FUTURE MOBILITY
- THEGUARDIAN: NEWS AND FEATURES. REFERENCE: DECEMBER 2017 ARTICLE, CAPTAIN AMERICA VS PREDATOR: WHAT COULD THE DISNEY/FOX DEAL MEAN FOR MOVIES?